For the first time wig-wearer, taking that first step into a new look can be formidable. That’s why we’ve put together this guide to help you get started. We’ll share the basics when it comes to choosing and caring for your new hair.
At the Hair Real, Wigs made of 100% Natural Human Hair come in short, average and large sizes. The first step in picking out one is measuring your head for the wig. A proper fit ensures comfort and prevents damage to the cap as well.
100% NATURAL HUMAN HAIR WIGS
All our Wigs are made of 100% Single Donor Human hair authentically sourced from the temples of south India. These wigs look and feel the most natural. They can also last up to a year or longer depending on the care and frequency of wear. They provide the ultimate stylability.
Wigs also come in a range of cap designs from fully wefted up to 100% hand-tied. The more hand-tied features a wig has, the more natural it will be. The most common types are Basic Cap, Lace Front, Monofilament Top, 100% Hand-Tied.
Basic Caps – this design is fully wefted and will be the least expensive. They’ll have “permatease” at the base of the cap to help disguise the wefts, which also provides more volume to the style.
Lace front wigs with lace fronts can be fully or partially wefted as well as 100% hand-tied. Usually made of ready-to-wear, welded lace or unfinished swiss lace that requires customization, they provide a natural-looking hairline because each hair is individually tied onto the lace.
Monofilament top is the type of cap design that gives the illusion of hair growing from your scalp and allows you to part your wig in any direction. It’s often combined with a lace front but not always– many styles with bangs will have a polyurethane strip at the front of the cap where you can use wig tape.
100% hand-tied is the most luxurious and realistic of all designs, this cap is usually the most expensive but well worth it. Every hair is hand tied onto the cap, including the lace front, allowing the most natural movement and appearance of scalp no matter how you wear your hair.
COLOR & STYLE
Wigs come in pixies, bobs and long, flowy locks. Curly or straight, fringe or no fringe, rooted or highlighted… at the Hair Real, the options are practically endless. Over the past 30 years, our trained professionals at The Hair Real have mastered the art of processing 100% Natural Human Hair into almost any colour & texture. As you are a beginner, you may like to try a style and color that most closely resembles your natural hair. On our website, you can shop by color and by hairstyle in order to narrow down your options. Browse best-sellers and read customer reviews to find out which styles and colors are most popular according to fellow wig wearers.
WEARING YOUR WIG
Making sure you put your wig on properly and preparing your hair or scalp underneath is crucial to how it’ll fit and feel.
- If you have medium to longer lengths of hair that you’ll need to tuck under your wig, pin your hair tightly to your head with bobby pins and wear a wig liner/cap. If you have short hair or no hair at all, you can go without the wig liner, but you might still like to wear one for comfort especially if you have sensitive skin.
- For added security you can use wig tape or a roll-on liquid adhesive.
- Once your head is prepped, put your wig on.
- Only adjust your wig using the ear tabs and nape so as to not cause damage to more delicate areas of the cap
CARE & STYLING
How you care for your wig plays a huge role in how long it’ll last and the kind of experience you’ll have with it.
- Wash every 6-8 wears (this is mandatory for Human Hair Wigs)
- Use care & styling products i.e. shampoos and conditioners, especially made for wigs.
- Detangle often with a wide tooth comb.
- Store your wig on a wig stand or safely in its wig box for long term storage
We at The Hair Real share this information to make you feel more prepared to dive into the world of wigs head on with real confidence. We’re also here to help every step of the way.